Gas cut off at contested Whittier field house
October 5, 2010 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Protesters are refusing to leave a Southwest Side field house even though the gas has been cut off.
A handful of parents have been staging a sit-in at the Whittier Elementary School field house in the Pilsen community for nearly three weeks. They want the district to convert the building into a library.
Chicago Public Schools officials say the structure is unsound. They have asked parents to vacate the premises and work with the district on a solution.
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- Metra train strikes pedestrian in New Lenox 35 min ago
- Chicago typhoon relief shipments reach the Philippines 5 min ago
- Person killed by Amtrak from Chicago to STL
- Chicago electric bills to rise; city claims could've been worse
- $7 million shoplifting suspects to remain jailed 58 min ago
- Teen accused in Chicago livery driver shooting death
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute
- ABC7 To Go 3-10-14
52 min ago