Winds hamper crews at Division, Altgeld fires
October 27, 2010 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- ComEd said almost 1,000 customers were without power after an electrical pole fell onto a roof and started a fire in the 4300-block of West Division Street.
One firefighter was injured after coming in contact with downed wires. He was shocked, but was not taken to the hospital for treatment, according to the Chicago Fire Department.
ComEd crews said they will work to restore the power once the area is safe.
High winds apparently knocked down the pole, which fell into wires and another pole before hitting a garage at 4350 West Division Street and igniting the flames.
Businesses and residences in the area have phone service.
Altgeld fire destroys building
In another fire on the city's North Side, a firefighter injured an ankle while fighting a fire that spread to a row of three-flat homes in the 1700-block of West Altgeld near Ashland and Fullerton. One home was destroyed.
No injuries were reported and the fire was struck as of 4:30 p.m. Wednesday.
The home where the blaze started was destroyed and has since collapsed. The two other homes sustained mostly smoke damage. Fire officials say the layout of the row homes, which creates a tunnel effect, made the fire more challenging.
"The high winds gust extension of fire going to both buildings. You have wires coming down. You have pieces of shingles and roof flying off. It is a dangerous condition. We have one firefighter at this time with a twisted ankle," said a firefighter.
building fire, local
- CTA Red Line shooting injures man at Argyle 11 min ago
- Cragin on alert after girl, 15, beaten, sexually assaulted 10 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Mega Millions: 1 ticket worth $1 million sold in Chicago
- 30 dogs removed from North Chicago apartment 8 min ago
- 1-month anniversary of Midwest tornadoes outbreak
- ADM to open headquarters in Chicago, sources say
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd 13 min ago
- Dart: Concealed carry approval process flawed
- Salvation Army feeds families, seniors in need in Chicago
- Consumer Reports: Best and Worst Value Cars
- Submit Your Holiday Lights Photos/Video to ABC7
- abcnews: Dad, Daughter Recreate Wedding Photos
- 7 in :77
14 min ago
- CTA Red Line shooting injures man at Argyle
11 min ago
- Cragin on alert after girl, 15, beaten,...
10 min ago