Local

Fire officials promote Christmas tree safety

Monday, November 29, 2010

With Christmas less than a month away holiday lights are beginning to flicker to life, but the combination of electricity and dry pine needles can create a potentially deadly fire hazard. On Monday, the Chicago Fire Department passed on some do's and don'ts for tree safety.

"First and foremost, keeping your tree moist is the most important. It keeps the needles from drying out, becoming more combustible. We tell people not to use any candles with a live tree or near a lighted tree because it can start on fire," said Joe Roccasalea, Chicago Fire Department.

In December of 2008 a house fire in Humboldt Park killed a 24-year-old man who was asleep when the fire broke out. Firefighters believe the fire was caused by faulty wiring of lights on a Christmas tree.

Firefighters lit a small Christmas trees on fire during a demonstration Monday to show how a quickly a small flame can turn into an inferno. Less than ten seconds after the first flames were apparent, the smoke detector went off, giving anybody inside the house ample time to get out. But just 40 seconds later, the entire room was engulfed in smoke and flames, turning the room into a death trap.

According to the Chicago Fire Department, one of the biggest cause of house fires this time of year are space heaters.

"You have to keep the minimum of three feet away anything that's flammable from a space heater. And also, they use extension cords on those and they shouldn't because an extension cord can get hot," said Bob Hoff, fire commissioner.

While preventing a fire is always important, the best way to protect yourself is by having smoke detectors on every level of your home and to change the batteries annually.

(Copyright ©2014 WLS-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

Get more Local »


Tags:
local, phil schwarz
blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement