Bears-Packers matchup makes for hot ticket
January 17, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The Bears face off against the Green Bay Packers for a berth in the Super Bowl. Sunday's game at Soldier Field is already the hottest ticket in town.
A limited number of tickets will go on sale Tuesday.
The Bears win over Seattle Sunday set up a NFC championship game that fans have been waiting for. It's clear that some are willing to pay whatever it takes to be in the stands come 2 o'clock on Sunday.
The numbers are already up there. The going rate Monday afternoon to get into the stadium was at least $500.
In a post-recession economy, some fans with tickets are willing to make the sacrifice for the right price.
Just Great Tickets is expecting a long week as people search for tickets for Sunday's Bears-Packers game and ticket holders try to sell. The calls started coming in last night.
"We're getting a lot of sellers 'cause the price is significant and it's a chance to cash in," said Marc Hamid, owner, Just Great tickets.
Hamid says there are more season tickets holders trying to sell right now. But he expects that will change with buyers flooding the market especially after the public tickets are gone.
"I think you'll see a spike in pricing tomorrow afternoon. That was kind of their last chance to get tickets at a reasonable price, and now they're not available anymore," said Hamid.
Stubhub's Chicago office will really be hectic later this week when fans come in to pick up tickets. The company's senior regional operations manager for the Midwest, Brad Zibung, expects tickets availability to be squeezed. Zibung, a Wisconsin native, expects Green Bay fans are eager to see the matchup in person, despite the economy.
"It's a lot of money. But if you're a lifelong Bears fan, and you haven't seen them win a Super Bowl in your life time or when you did it was in '86. And it's the Packers, it really is the perfect match up," said Brad Zibung, Stubhub.
The Better Business Bureau (BBB) warns fans tempted to buy tickets to:
- make sure your broker is licensed and a member of the national association of ticket brokers and BBB - avoid paying cash
- use a credit card
- do not ever wire funds
- verify seat locations with venue
- compare prices to make sure your getting a fair price.
For those feeling lucky, Tuesday is your chance at the few tickets remaining. The public tickets go on sale online only at 2 o'clock p.m.
chicago bears, local, leah hope
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Search resumes Sunday for Malaysian jet
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment
- Mt. Prospect banquet hall closes suddenly
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Cubs single-game tickets on sale
- 'Project Youth' provides lessons on teen pregnancy, more
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Bill would ban SeaWorld orca shows in California
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Teens Help Save Man Stuck in Sewer
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos