CPS buses navigate snowy side streets
February 7, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- As the cleanup goes on from the Blizzard of 2011, bus service resumed for Chicago Public Schools Monday morning. But side streets remain snow-covered, making it hard for school buses as well as residents to get where they need to go.
While most bus routes went smoothly, some buses encountered problems on a few secondary streets.
"Our routes ran smoothly. A lot of the snow had been removed, thank God, and we were able to make all of our routes on time," said Katrice Ammons, Ammons Bus Company.
"Most of the major streets have been cleared out nicely. We had issues on smaller streets, particularly on the West Side," said Michael Rosas, Latin Express Bus Company.
For students, getting on the bus can be tricky given the big piles of snow and obstacles people use to block off their parking spots.
"Sometimes those chairs or other things will get in the way of their path to get into the bus and it makes it particularly difficult for wheelchair children," said Rosas.
According to a few students ABC7 spoke with, some kids that arrive to school by bus were a little bit late. However, at the Benjamin Banneker school, all students arrived on time.
"There weren't any delays with out students arriving to school. Our students arrived before time. School begins for our students at 7:55. I believe our students were here at 7:40 a.m. this morning," said Verona Portis, Benjamin Banneker Elementary principal.
Many sidewalks are still clogged with snow, making it hazardous for those students who have to walk to school.
"For the last couple days of this storm there's been less and less of kids," said John Vakalahi, crossing guard.
Some roads on the West Side, especially on Pine Street near Central Avenue, have not been plowed since the storm.
local, phil schwarz
- Baby found in car seat pronounced dead 9 min ago
- Thousands expected at Our Lady of Guadalupe shrine 13 min ago
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Wind Chill Advisory in effect for city, suburbs
- Chicago Skyway reopened after 5 injured in accident
- Mariano's to hold 3 job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- Chicago Children's Choir alumni reunite to honor Mandela 33 min ago
- Family searching for missing Lansing man
- 2 moms seek answers in sons' police shooting deaths
- Stanley Wrice, alleged police torture victim, released from...
- Man sues, alleging victimization by convicted priest
- Styrofoam product ban proposed in Chicago
- abcnews: How Tom Hanks became Walt Disney
- Baby found in car seat pronounced dead
9 min ago
- Thousands expected at Our Lady of Guadalupe...
13 min ago