How to report a pothole, file damage claim

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The snow is melting and the potholes are appearing. Chicago-area drivers are challenged every year by an obstacle course in the city and suburbs.

Potholes are caused by the freezing and thawing of pavement; the more cycles area roadways go through, the greater the chance of potholes. The condition of the streets also plays a part.

"Since Saturday we have received 500 calls about potholes throughout the city of Chicago. Of those 500, 400 came yesterday," said CDOT's Bobby Ware.

    To report potholes/file damage claims:
  • City Streets: Call 311 to report potholes in Chicago. The city has 20 crews that are dispatched to problem areas as they're called in. To file a damage complaint with the city of Chicago, visit http://www.chicityclerk.com/claims_vehicle_damage.php.
  • State Streets: Call the Illinois Department of Transportation at 1-800-452-4368 or fill out a form at dot.il.gov/contact.html to report a pothole. That same form can be used file a claim if the pothole causes damage to a vehicle.

Since December, on weekdays, the city has had 20 crews out on a daily basis and even has four crews patching potholes on the weekends.

(Copyright ©2014 WLS-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

Get more Local »

local, phil schwarz
blog comments powered by Disqus