Gorillas get physicals at Brookfield Zoo
March 10, 2011 (BROOKFIELD, Ill.) (WLS) -- Two Western Lowland Gorillas got routine physicals from Brookfield Zoo veterinarians on Thursday.
Binti Jua, 22, and her son, Bakari, 6, were given physical examinations similar to those given to humans by doctors- blood tests, dental exams, and eye exams. Binti and Bakari also got radiographs of their chests and abdomens and had cardiac ultrasounds.
Fifteen years ago, Binti made world headlines when she cradled a toddler who fell into her exhibit and handed the 3-year-old boy over to zoo staff. She was 8 years old at the time and was carrying her own baby, Kola, now 16, on her back.
Bakari's father is Ramar, a silverback gorilla at Brookfield Zoo.
brookfield zoo, local
- Memorial Day Road Race benefits military families
- 17-year-old boy killed in Austin shooting
- Deer on tracks halts Blue Line service temporarily
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Joliet man facing child porn charges
- Missouri freight train crash injures at least 7, collapses...
- Robbie Rogers heading to Galaxy as league's 1st openly gay...
- Second video allegedly shows guard push student
- Contaminated injections traced to IL clinic
- Memorial Day travel: Illinois roadways, airports busy
- James Ealy guilty in 2006 Burger King murder
- Concealed carry bill passes Illinois House
- Photos: Skagit River Bridge Collapse on I-5
- abcnews: Drivers Can't Face Fears, Get Lift Across...
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos