Stevenson ramp closed after semi rolls over
March 15, 2011 (COUNTRYSIDE, Ill.) (WLS) -- A ramp to the Stevenson Expressway near west suburban Countryside was blocked for most of Tuesday morning after a semi truck traveling too fast for conditions rolled over there.
The truck turned over at approximately 2:30 a.m. on the ramp from northbound LaGrange to the outbound Stevenson.
The driver was ticketed following the crash, state police said.
The semi truck hauling a trailer lost control at the bottom of the ramp and rolled onto the driver's side, State Police District Chicago Master Sergeant Joe Stangl said.
The semi was carrying a load of boxes of stuffing when the trailer split. So, crews brought in another semi to offload all of the first truck's contents. The clean-up process took hours as crews continued to make the transfer. A third truck was also brought to the scene to help.
Drivers staring at the accident caused traffic to back up on the inbound side of the Stevenson, as well. The jam reached all the way to the Tri-state and beyond at one point.
The semi's driver reportedly managed to crawl out of the truck on his own and was taken to Adventist LaGrange Memorial Hospital in LaGrange with minor injuries.
He was also cited for driving too fast for conditions, Stangl said. His identity was not immediately available.
State police say they are investigating.
(The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.)
local, roz varon
- Snow cancels, delays flights at airports 11 min ago
- Bears fans warned about dangerous game weather 59 min ago
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 19 min ago
- Austin fire destroys building, leaves 10 homeless
- Chicago pastor investigated for child sex abuse
- Bears, Cowboys prepped for frigid Monday game
- 1 dead, several injured in Racine pile-up 13 min ago
- 2-year-old girl killed by dog on South Side
- FEMA canvassing tornado areas in central Ill.
- Blackhawks G Crawford leaves game early with injury
- Chicago marks passing of Nelson Mandela 13 min ago
- Shirley MacLaine on Kennedy Center Honors: 'It's about time'
- abcnews: Man trapped in empty plane at Houston Airport
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
19 min ago
- 7 in :77
22 min ago
- Snow cancels, delays flights at airports
11 min ago
- Bears fans warned about dangerous game...
59 min ago