Pfleger gets more support to stay
March 25, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A group of pastors and community leaders urged Cardinal Francis George to keep Fr. Michael Pfleger at St. Sabina Catholic Church, where he has served for 30 years.
Pfleger appeared with the group at a South Side restaurant on Friday.
He says the Chicago Archdiocese wants to transfer him, but he has told church leaders that he wants to stay at St. Sabina.
Supporters say Pfleger is fixture in the community
"He has stood with the community, and we as pastors and community leaders are standing with him today," said Rev. Tyrone Crider, Mt. Calvary Baptist Church.
"Please, Cardinal George, give us the chance to continue to have Father Pfleger in our midst, working as such a powerfully vital and important church leader and voice of the gospel," said Pastor Rod Reinhart, St. Clement Episcopal Church.
Pfleger says he has been asked to head Leo High School.
The archdiocese has not commented.
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway
- 2 teens found dead in South Side apartment
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 44 min ago
- Person drowns in kayak accident on Fox River 32 min ago
- Cardinal George presides over Easter vigil mass
- Blackhawks lose 4-3 in OT to St. Louis Blues
- Bloomingdale Trail bridge moved from Ashland to Western
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house
- Anti-violence Easter march held in South Chicago
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home