Major construction begins on I-90
April 4, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Getting to Wisconsin may take drivers longer this year due to a major construction project on I-90, or the Jane Addams Tollway.
Twenty-seven miles of the 52-year-old roadway will undergo much-needed resurfacing and bridge repairs
"Well it's in terrible shape, last week I blew out a tire over there; the road is bad, very bad!" said Joe Van Pelt, motorist. "They need to, as soon as possible the better!"
The work will be done in two sections - from Barrington Road to the Elgin Toll Plaza and between Genoa Road and U.S. 20 near Rockford. For the next couple weeks crews will be preparing the roadway for a traffic shift, using the shoulders, so they can maintain the same number of lanes during construction. At various times during the project ramps will need to be closed. The roadwork is scheduled for completion by the end of the year.
A couple of interstates will also be under construction this year, starting with the resurfacing of the Stevenson.
"I actually just got a flat on the Stevenson at, like 6:00 in the morning coming down here and it wasn't very nice!" Brandy Beurink, motorist, said.
The work will begin later this spring, from Kedzie to County Line Road. Work will be done at night to lessen the impact on rush hour traffic.
There are two projects on I-80 this year: resurfacing from the Grundy County Line to U.S. 30 and building additional lanes from U.S. 30 to U.S. 45.
Monday is the first day of the 2011 National Work Zone Awareness Week.
The Chicago event is to highlight motorists and worker safety in construction work zones, as well as to explain the dangers.
local, roz varon
- Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs
- Man shot to death in Logan Square
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Baby who died after being left home alone ID'd
- Man arrested in shooting of Garfield Park pharmacist
- Chicago artist created pope's image for Time cover
- Metra UP West train delayed by freight train
- South Shore Line trains delayed by cold 14 min ago
- Thousands expected at Our Lady of Guadalupe shrine
- Chicago Skyway reopened after 5 injured in accident
- Renee Fleming, Yo Yo Ma celebrate CPS arts program
- Mariano's to hold 3 job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- abcnews: 911 calls in Jameis Winston case
- 7 in 77
12 min ago