Pfleger says he would leave Catholic church before going to Leo
April 12, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Father Michael Pfleger said he would consider leaving the Catholic church if forced to take over as principal at Leo High School.
Pfleger is the longtime pastor of St. Sabina, where he has built the city's largest and most active African-American Catholic parish. However, he was told last month by the Archdiocese of Chicago that he may be moved from the Parish to Leo Catholic High School.
Pfleger sent a letter to Cardinal Francis George that he was not interested in leaving St. Sabina's. The archdiocese has not commented publically on its plans for Pfleger.
Over the weekend, Pfleger told radio show host Tavis Smiley and Cornel West of the frustration with the Chicago Archdiocese.
"People come from all over the country to study St. Sabina, to train at St. Sabina, except in Chicago. And in 30 years here, not once have I ever been called in and said, bring in some of your leadership. Tell us what works. Tell us how you're successful. Tell us how you're doing this. We have never... In fact, I am banned from going to churches in many of the places in Chicago archdiocese to preach.
He blames what he calls the "Right Wing" conservative Catholics and the National Rifle Association for the current efforts to remove him from St. Sabina.
- 2 winter storms take aim at Chicago area 3 min ago
- Missing Michigan doctor's car found in Indiana 27 min ago
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold until January
- 2 men killed within blocks of each other in South Shore 29 min ago
- No CO detectors in Skokie apartments where people sickened 36 min ago
- Man believed to be Gacy victim found living in Montana
- Target credit card breach affects 40 million accounts 28 min ago
- Over 80 injured in partial London theater collapse 49 min ago
- Indiana Toll Road reopened after truck rollover
- Elkhart native killed in NATO helicopter crash in Afghanistan 48 min ago
- Aurora pastor gets 12 years in prison 55 min ago
- Fans, former colleagues remember 'Superjock' Larry Lujack 38 min ago
- Toys for Tots gifts needed
19 min ago
- Target credit card breach affects 40...
28 min ago