New schools CEO calls opportunity 'phenomenal'
April 26, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Mayor-elect Rahm Emanuel's pick the head Chicago Public Schools, Jean-Claude Brizard, sat down with a Rochester, New York television station recently to address the controversy surrounding his departure.
"The opportunity is phenomenal. To go to the third largest school district in the country, to work with Rahm Emanuel, to work with the kinds of people that we've heard and read about is also a tremendous opportunity," Brizard said. "I know some of my board members were angry, perhaps at not being told ahead of time. The fact is, I did engage some of the board members, especially the leadership, about a possible transition. I could not be specific because I could not talk about where I was going, what was happening."
"What's interesting to me, one of the board members who called for my termination was one of the ones screaming the loudest about my departure. I found that to be really fascinating," said Brizard.
The new CPS CEO starts his new job in Chicago May 16.
jean-claude brizard, local
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student 21 min ago
- Man struck by cars in Lincolnwood dies, police say 50 min ago
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- Metra train strikes pedestrian in New Lenox 34 min ago
- Person killed by Amtrak from Chicago to STL
- Chicago electric bills to rise; city claims could've been worse
- $7 million shoplifting suspects to remain jailed
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds