Blagojevich attorney calls witness 'rich kid'
May 18, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- An attorney for Rod Blagojevich called one of the prosecution's witnesses a ''rich kid from California'' Wednesday morning during the former governor's corruption trial.Defense attorney Sheldon Sorosky cross-examined Lon Monk, a college friend who became a top advisor to the former governor. Monk testified Tuesday that Blagojevich tried to squeeze executives for campaign donations in exchange for state business.
Sorosky asked Monk about his friendship with Blagojevich, to which prosecutors objected, and his family background. He then asked, "Is it fair to say, you were the rich kid from California and (Blagojevich) was the poor kid from the Northwest Side of Chicago?"
Prosecutors objected to that as well. The judge sustained both objections.
Monk admitted to receiving at least $70,000 from a political fundraiser in 2004. In 2005, Monk resigned as Blagojevich's chief of staff and became campaign manager for the reelection campaign. "Once again, you got that job because Rod trusted you and were his friend," Sorosky said. After that, Monk became a lobbyist.
Sorosky is challenging Monk's reliability as a witness, focusing on lies Monk admits he told Blagojevich and the FBI.
Blagojevich, 54, faces 20 charges in this scaled-down corruption re-trial. Last year, he was found guilty on one of 24 counts and the jury was hung on all others.
- Teenager sexually assaulted in Logan Square 23 min ago
- Wrong-way driver collides with semi on Skyway 47 min ago
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan 29 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Pfleger wants 'American' billboard with assault weapon removed 39 min ago
- Girl, 3, ID'd after fatal Rogers Park mattress fire
- Tinley Park HS teacher resigns after sex assault charges
- Man shot to death in Hammond
- Man charged with murder for South Side bar shooting
- Chicago-Portland flight allegedly disrupted by man who wanted 4...
- Sign of Spring: Original Rainbow Cone now open
- NJ judge rules moms don't have to let dads in delivery room
- Photos: 'Modern Family' house on market for $2.35M
- abcnews: Amazon Accused of Cheating on Free Shipping
- Teenager sexually assaulted in Logan Square
23 min ago
- Wrong-way driver collides with semi on Skyway
47 min ago
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
29 min ago