Chicago man among 5 soldiers killed in Iraq
June 10, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- One of five soldiers killed in Iraq Monday has been identified as a Chicago man.
Pfc. Michael Olivieri, 26, died in Baghdad. The Department of Defense says enemy forces attacked his unit with indirect fire, killing all five soldiers.
Olivieri had family in southwest suburban Homer Glen.
All of the soldiers were deployed to Iraq in November 2010. They were part of a brigade assigned to support the development of Iraq forces and the improvement of civilian life in central Iraq. Each of the soldiers had served less than two years. They were also on their first deployment.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder 1 min ago
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 23 min ago
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago 50 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting 48 min ago
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway 33 min ago
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins lands after 6 months in space
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
23 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010...
1 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos