Power outages hamper mail delivery in northwest suburbs
June 22, 2011 (PALATINE, Ill.) (WLS) -- Power was out for much of the day at several suburban post offices, as well as a big mail sorting facility in northwest suburban Palatine, after powerful storms ripped through the Chicago area Tuesday night.
As a result, mail delivery was a problem in some communities on Wednesday.
"The delivery continues. Even today we have post offices up in the 600 zipcode area where the power went out, but the carriers were still going to deliver their mail," said Sean Hargadon, postal service spokesperson.
Without electricity, the computers that run much of the Palatine facility were inoperable and workers had to slow most of the operation down to a crawl. With little light available inside the 650,000 square foot building, even the restrooms were dark. Portable toilets were set up in the parking lot. Still, the thousands of employees did what they could.
"The whole thing today is to keep the mail moving, so we put in contigency plans to get plants in Rockford, Carol Stream, one in Chicago and one in Milwaukee tol step up, step in and to help us get the mail processed," said Hargadon.
Power was restored at the facility around 4 p.m. Wednesday. Officials said the facility should be operating normally by Thursday.
local, john garcia
- Grand Blue Line stop reopened after water main break 10 min ago
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan 16 min ago
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery 16 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 19 min ago
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured 35 min ago
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student 46 min ago
- GOP candidates for IL treasurer square off in forum
- Mt. Prospect woman accuses neighbor of hate crime
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by CDOT crews
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- Larkin High School poms squad honored
- Chicago glows green ahead of St. Patrick's Day
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
19 min ago
- Grand Blue Line stop reopened after water...
10 min ago
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan
16 min ago
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane...
16 min ago