'Fleeing' Wisconsin senators earn NEA award
July 2, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The 14 Wisconsin state senators who left the state to avoid voting on a collective bargaining bill were honored by educators in Chicago Saturday.Six of them were on hand to receive the Friend of Education Award from the National Education Association. The group is holding its annual meeting at McCormick Place.
The state senators came to Illinois to avoid voting on a bill ending most collective bargaining for Wisconsin public employees. That measure was eventually passed.
On Sunday, Vice President Joe Biden is scheduled to speak to the educators.
- Extra-alarm blaze struck in Irving Park 13 min ago
- Chicago police officer shot on South Side
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 31 min ago
- Man fatally shot by police in domestic dispute
- Sheriff Dart facing opposition from own party
- Brown's Chicken killer wins federal lawsuit
- Mobile payment option for metered parking
- Farewell held for local deployed soldiers
- Gay wedding expo celebrates marriage equality
- Fundraiser held for teen injured at ski park
- Orr Academy basketball player among 6 shot at party
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
31 min ago