Traffic projects affect Madison, Ontario
July 5, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A couple of construction projects got under way Tuesday, changing the way Chicagoans get around downtown.
The first is the extension of the Wacker Drive project. Madison closes Tuesday over Wacker and will be shut down between Canal and Franklin. Also, the closures on Madison continue further south from Washington to Monroe. That configuration will remain in play through the rest of the year.
The Madison changes will affect not only vehicular traffic, but also, 19 CTA bus routes will have to detour around it.
More informations on those routes can be found at www.transitchicago.com.
Pedestrians walking from Ogilvie train station will need to detour, as well, by using either Monroe or Washington to get across the Chicago River. Madison will not be open to foot traffic.
A little farther north, a major resurfacing project is taking place on Ontario Street from State Street to Orleans. Two of four lanes of traffic will close for the duration of that project. It is expected to last one month and will cause back-ups for drivers trying to reach the Kennedy Expressway.
Pedestrian access to all buildings along Wacker will still be open.
local, roz varon
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysia jet 17 min ago
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57
- HS basketball player shines despite disabilty
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Boston Marathon bombing comment no threat to St. Patrick's Day... 23 min ago
- CTA Green Line briefly interrupted
- 'El Chapo' lieutenant wants trial in Chicago
- Teacher's aide posed as teen to meet girls online
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Lawmakers say DCFS faces 'horrendous' challenges
- Free small business expo begins in Chicago
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD