Cops: Bucktown beating suspect tried to get pot into jail
July 14, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A man charged in a brutal bat attack on two women in Bucktown last year is now accused of trying to bring marijuana into the Cook County Jail.
Heriberto Viramontes, 31, is charged with felony bringing contraband into a penal institution. He is already being held without bond on charges of aggravated battery and armed robbery in the April 23, 2010, attack on two women- Natasha McShane and Stacy Jurich- in Bucktown. Both women were severely beaten by a bat and Mc Shane, a native of Northern Ireland, has had several setbacks in her recovery, her father said in April 2011. Viramontes' then girlfriend, Marcy Cruz, 26, was also charged in the Bucktown crime.
Now, in an unrelated case, police say an undercover investigation led to charges against Viramontes and the arrest of his girlfriend, 22-year-old Kira Lundgren, of Plainfield. A correctional officer, Jerome Prusa, 50, of Westchester, was also arrested.
Officials said Lundgren hid marijuana in her shoe during a visit to Viramontes and taped it on the underside of the table. Prusa was the officer on duty. An undercover officer involved in the investigation into smuggling at the jail happened into the room at that time and Lundgren asked the undercover officer to give the marijuana to Viramontes.
The marijuana was found in Viramontes' cell. Lundgren was arrested at Division 10. Prusa was taken into custody. Police found two knives hidden in Prusa's uniform.
Prusa, who has been a correctional officer since 2005, is free on $40,000 bond. He has been de-deputized and suspended from his position. He also resigned from a position an auxiliary officer with the LaGrange Park Police Department.
Viramontes, Lundgren and Prusa will appear in court on July 15, July 18 and July 21, respectively.
- Extra-alarm blaze struck in Irving Park
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State 1 min ago
- Person killed by Amtrak from Chicago to STL
- Chicago electric bills to rise; city claims could've been worse
- $7 million shoplifting suspects face detention hearing 59 min ago
- Teen accused in Chicago livery driver shooting death 45 min ago
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- Man fatally shot by police in domestic dispute
- Earthquake in California centered in Eureka 36 min ago
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute
- 7 in :77