Des Plaines casino opens Monday
July 17, 2011 (DES PLAINES, Ill.) (WLS) -- The Rivers Casino in Des Plaines opens to the public for the first time Monday.On Sunday night, some VIPs got a chance to do a little gambling.
The casino is giving jobs to more than 1,000 workers, and is estimated to generate more than $150 million in taxes to the state each year.
It's not clear how much competition it will have. The legislature passed a bill creating four more casinos but it hasn't been signed by the governor.
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase
- Brief warm-up followed by snow
- Missing plane may have created seismic event, Chinese researchers say
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Cops: Sober man testing vehicle breathalyzer causes crash
- Mundelein girl in court again after half-sister's murder
- Cocaine stash found in Aurora man's home
- 2 accused of videotaping abuse at nursing home 44 min ago
- Pi Day celebrated on 3.14 with Chicago specials
- Photos: Chicago police officer killed in crash
- SUV rolls off Jane Addams exit ramp in Rosemont
- Northwestern University unveils $3.75B campaign
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- abcnews: Cops Seek Bad Witch Who Stole Ruby Red... 40 min ago
- ABC7 to Go 3-14-14
7 min ago