Car, air travel complicated by storms
July 23, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The heavy rain has caused about 100 cancelations and hour-long delays at O'Hare Airport, but on Saturday morning, it was also difficult getting there.
There was so much rain at O'Hare, plows and snow removers were called into service. The downpour left the Interstate 190 exit to the airport and several roads around O'Hare impassable.
For airline worker Margaret Termini, getting to work this morning became a four-hour ordeal.
"There is no street that we can go down. Every street is flooded, stuck. People pulled over," Termini said.
Officials say, at one point, parts of the Dan Ryan, Edens, and Eisenhower expressways were all shut down. The Ryan was temporarily closed in both directions near 87th after several vehicles got stuck.
Several viewers sent ABC7 viewers their images and videos to show just how high the water was around 4 a.m. Saturday. One video shows what it was like behind the wheel as sheets of rain came down. "Some people were literally swimming out of cars. And in other cases, we waded in with the fire crews and got people out of their cars," said Larry Langford, Chicago Fire Department.
On Route 53 near Thorndale in Elk Grove Village, drivers tried to wait out the rain under an overpass.
In west suburban Bellwood, ABC7's cameras captured one driver stopped at the flooded intersection of Mannheim Road and St. Charles. He tried to back up, but when the car stalled, he got out and signaled for help. Eventually, he and his passenger have to leave the car and walk through the rain.
"We had numerous vehicles that were submerged in the water, so we spent a lot of the morning trying to get those vehicles out and getting out those drivers safely," said Lt. Luis Gutierrez, Illinois State Police.
The storm knocked out power to tens of thousands of customers. In west suburban Brookfield, one worker had to cut a tree to get it off power lines. Afterward, he raised his arms in triumph.
Illinois State Police and the Chicago Fire Department were not able to tell us how many people were rescued from their vehicles, but they say it was easily several dozen.
local, eric horng
- Ice to slicken roads before snow rolls in
- Boy, 11, killed after carjacker crashes into SUV 1 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting 37 min ago
- Funeral held for teacher killed in Indiana roadside crash 48 min ago
- Hadiya Pendleton Foundation holds holiday toy drive 52 min ago
- Bruce Rauner wins Cook County GOP endorsement
- 1 dead, 9 wounded in shootings since Friday
- Astronauts sail through repair spacewalks aboard ISS
- Bensenville police shooting injures man
- Police: Drunk driver crashes into squard car
- Siblings becoming guardians of disabled adults
- abcnews: Feds: Woman caught after 36 years on run
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood...
37 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos