Reward offered after pregnant teen's death
August 18, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A reward is now being offered in the shooting death of a pregnant Chicago teenager.
The call is going out for the public's help in the case, and a reward is being offered for any information on the shooting.
Dozens gathered on the sidewalk where 17-year-old Charinez Jefferson was gunned down. A community activist says there is now a $3,000 reward for information in the hope it could lead to an arrest.
On Tuesday night, Jefferson, who was six months pregnant with a baby boy, was walking home from a corner store in Marquette Park when she stopped to talk to friends in the 3800 block of West 64th Street. Police say she was shot in the head and multiple times in the body.
Doctors were able to deliver her baby. He has been listed in critical but stable condition at Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn.
Jefferson's mother says she has been told her daughter's unnamed son may have health problems in the future, but she is grateful doctors were able to save him.
"It is a blessing from God. I do believe that my grand baby is going to be OK," said Debbie Jefferson.
Charinez Jefferson's family believes she was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase 9 min ago
- Missing plane may have created seismic event, Chinese researchers say 44 min ago
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West Loop
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Rat problem could increase with spring thaw
- GOP gubernatorial candidates hold last forum before primary
- MS Awareness Month events in Chicago area
- Catalytic converters stolen from cars in Chicago Lawn
- I-55 rest stop dedicated to fallen state trooper
- Priest: Billboard with assault weapon 'disrespectful'
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Philly Airport
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
- CPS student's murder remains unsolved 5 years later
- Armed robberies prompt alert in South Shore
- CPD officer killed in crash after police...
9 min ago
- 2014 International Home + Housewares Show
13 min ago