Reward offered after pregnant teen's death
August 18, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A reward is now being offered in the shooting death of a pregnant Chicago teenager.
The call is going out for the public's help in the case, and a reward is being offered for any information on the shooting.
Dozens gathered on the sidewalk where 17-year-old Charinez Jefferson was gunned down. A community activist says there is now a $3,000 reward for information in the hope it could lead to an arrest.
On Tuesday night, Jefferson, who was six months pregnant with a baby boy, was walking home from a corner store in Marquette Park when she stopped to talk to friends in the 3800 block of West 64th Street. Police say she was shot in the head and multiple times in the body.
Doctors were able to deliver her baby. He has been listed in critical but stable condition at Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn.
Jefferson's mother says she has been told her daughter's unnamed son may have health problems in the future, but she is grateful doctors were able to save him.
"It is a blessing from God. I do believe that my grand baby is going to be OK," said Debbie Jefferson.
Charinez Jefferson's family believes she was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
- Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs 5 min ago
- Mother charged in death of 7-month-old baby 23 min ago
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 9 min ago
- Boy, 7, allegedly brings loaded gun to Elgin school 20 min ago
- Mariano's holds job fairs this week in city, suburbs 31 min ago
- No retrial for alleged CPD torture victim Wrice 5 min ago
- Metra Rock Island train hits car on South Side
- Mom charged after YouTube postings of alphabet lesson
- Fatally shot alleged robber suspected in Harvey cop shooting
- Santa surprises 2 young girls hurt in car crash 9 min ago
- Man shot to death in Logan Square
- Coyote attacks on small dogs reported in Wheaton
- abcnews: 911 calls in Jameis Winston case
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
9 min ago
- Boy, 7, allegedly brings loaded gun to...
20 min ago
- Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs
5 min ago
- Mother charged in death of 7-month-old baby
23 min ago