High schoolers suspected of going to school drunk
August 18, 2011 (NAPERVILLE, Ill.) (WLS) -- Some Naperville North High School students were suspended after they appeared to be drunk when they showed up for class Wednesday.
At least 20 seniors are being questioned about what happened.
School administrators have been meeting individually with students and their parents. They have suspended a number of those students, but they say they are treating each of the cases individually.
It is the second day of the school year for members of the Class of 2012 at Naperville North, but some of the students are already in trouble after administrators say they showed up drunk Wednesday morning.
The School District 203 spokesperson said she suspects about 20 students were involved. They are suspected of drinking alcohol Tuesday night or Wednesday morning in an off-campus setting.
The spokesperson also said that from conversations with students, it appears this began as an overnight party with alcohol involved, and a number of the students apparently showed up the next morning still under the influence.
"Every year, there's something," said a student when asked about whether this might be some kind of senior prank. "Last year, they threw a bunch of paper around throughout the school. I guess this year it was, like, getting drunk."
Robyn Block, director of Illinois Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD), says statewide teenagers begin drinking at age 14 on average. She says incidents like this offer a good opportunity for constructive dialogue about drinking.
"It's a chance to start talking about prevention," said Block. "It's a chance to start talking about the health risks."
The district spokesperson says the school plans to do just that.
local, john garcia
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy 4 min ago
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Video: Yelp reviews: Phony or Real?
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train 1 min ago
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock
- I-Team finds man wanted by Interpol in Chicago
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns 46 min ago
- Opening statements begin in general's sex trial
- Massachusetts bans 'upskirt' photos after ruling 24 min ago
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
4 min ago
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
1 min ago