High schoolers suspected of going to school drunk
August 18, 2011 (NAPERVILLE, Ill.) (WLS) -- Some Naperville North High School students were suspended after they appeared to be drunk when they showed up for class Wednesday.
At least 20 seniors are being questioned about what happened.
School administrators have been meeting individually with students and their parents. They have suspended a number of those students, but they say they are treating each of the cases individually.
It is the second day of the school year for members of the Class of 2012 at Naperville North, but some of the students are already in trouble after administrators say they showed up drunk Wednesday morning.
The School District 203 spokesperson said she suspects about 20 students were involved. They are suspected of drinking alcohol Tuesday night or Wednesday morning in an off-campus setting.
The spokesperson also said that from conversations with students, it appears this began as an overnight party with alcohol involved, and a number of the students apparently showed up the next morning still under the influence.
"Every year, there's something," said a student when asked about whether this might be some kind of senior prank. "Last year, they threw a bunch of paper around throughout the school. I guess this year it was, like, getting drunk."
Robyn Block, director of Illinois Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD), says statewide teenagers begin drinking at age 14 on average. She says incidents like this offer a good opportunity for constructive dialogue about drinking.
"It's a chance to start talking about prevention," said Block. "It's a chance to start talking about the health risks."
The district spokesperson says the school plans to do just that.
local, john garcia
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway
- 2 teens found dead in South Side apartment
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Person drowns in kayak accident on Fox River
- Cardinal George presides over Easter vigil mass
- Blackhawks lose 4-3 in OT to St. Louis Blues
- Bloomingdale Trail bridge moved from Ashland to Western
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house
- Anti-violence Easter march held in South Chicago
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home