Muslim group to mark 9/11 with blood donation drives
August 19, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- With the tenth anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks just three weeks away, one Muslim organization says it will mark the occasion with a life-saving blood drive.
Organizers from Muslims for Life have announced a plan to collect 10,000units of blood by September 11.
The donated blood could then be used to save more than 30,000 lives of people who need it.
"The best thing we could do is focus on the key message of Islam, the sanctity of life, and instead of the blood that has been shed, we would collect blood to preserve life," said Haris Ahmed of Muslims for Life.
Nationwide, 130 Muslims for Life blood drives are planned.
Local organizers plan to distribute donation flyers at this weekend's Air and Water Show.
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this' 46 min ago
- Search resumes Sunday for Malaysian jet
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 25 min ago
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment
- Mt. Prospect banquet hall closes suddenly
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Cubs single-game tickets on sale
- 'Project Youth' provides lessons on teen pregnancy, more 1 min ago
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Bill would ban SeaWorld orca shows in California
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Teens Help Save Man Stuck in Sewer
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
25 min ago
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through...
46 min ago
- Trio of new distilleries open in Chicago
35 min ago