Police: 9-year-old boy, woman shot on porch
August 20, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Two people, including a 9-year-old boy, were trying to recover Saturday after being shot on Chicago's South Side.
Chicago police say DeShawn McKenzie and his cousin Jasmine Platt, 24, were among several people sitting on the porch of a home in the 6400-block of South Racine at approximately 10 p.m. Friday when someone approached on foot and opened fire.
McKenzie was shot in the neck and remained hospitalized Saturday in serious condition at Comer Children's Hospital. Platt was released from St. Bernard's Hospital early Saturday after receiving a graze wound to her chest. No other injuries were reported.
"We were about to leave and the next thing we heard was pow pow pow! I got on top of my cousin. Everybody was trying to get inside the house and me and DeShawn got shot in the process, going into the doorway," Platt said.
DeShawn, who is entering the third grade, is expected to survive .
No one was in custody Saturday, but Chicago police said they were looking for the shooter.
local, michelle gallardo
- Police: Suspicious item on LSD was sleeping bag
- Bond denied for suspect in Boystown sex assault 42 min ago
- Hero officers save two boys from West Pullman fire
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 23 min ago
- Tavern shutdown racially motivated, owner says 18 min ago
- Child struck, killed by car in Whiting, Ind. 32 min ago
- School bus collides with car, then sign in Bartlett
- Cubs unveil plans for Wrigley's 100th birthday
- ComEd seeks rate hike to help pay for Smart Grid 40 min ago
- Bucktown water main break gushes for hours
- Chicago casino plans pitched at gaming hearing
- UIC faculty strike averted, tentative deal reached
- Michelle Obama to meet with CPS students in DC
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos