Police: 9-year-old boy, woman shot on porch
August 20, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Two people, including a 9-year-old boy, were trying to recover Saturday after being shot on Chicago's South Side.
Chicago police say DeShawn McKenzie and his cousin Jasmine Platt, 24, were among several people sitting on the porch of a home in the 6400-block of South Racine at approximately 10 p.m. Friday when someone approached on foot and opened fire.
McKenzie was shot in the neck and remained hospitalized Saturday in serious condition at Comer Children's Hospital. Platt was released from St. Bernard's Hospital early Saturday after receiving a graze wound to her chest. No other injuries were reported.
"We were about to leave and the next thing we heard was pow pow pow! I got on top of my cousin. Everybody was trying to get inside the house and me and DeShawn got shot in the process, going into the doorway," Platt said.
DeShawn, who is entering the third grade, is expected to survive .
No one was in custody Saturday, but Chicago police said they were looking for the shooter.
local, michelle gallardo
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student 54 min ago
- Man struck by cars in Lincolnwood dies, police say
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- Metra train strikes pedestrian in New Lenox
- Person killed by Amtrak from Chicago to STL
- Chicago electric bills to rise; city claims could've been worse
- $7 million shoplifting suspects to remain jailed
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds