Man charged with killing pregnant teen
August 21, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago police charged a man late Sunday in the fatal shooting a pregnant teenager.
Timothy Jones, 18, of 6337 S. Rockwell St., was charged with one count of murder, police said.
Authorities said Jones was arrested at his home and was identified by witnesses as the person who killed Charinez Jefferson, 17, on Tuesday, August 16.
Jefferson, who was six months pregnant with a baby boy, was walking home from a corner store in Marquette Park when she stopped to talk to friends in the 3800-block of West 64th Street. Police say she was shot in the head and multiple times in the body.
Doctors were able to deliver her baby. He was in critical condition Sunday night at Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn.
Earlier Sunday evening, a anti-violence march was held in Englewood in Jefferson's honor.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
- Boy pulled from Crystal Lake pond after 90 minutes dies 36 min ago
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas 27 min ago
- Blackhawks lose heartbreaking 3OT STL Game 1
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man accused of Naperville 'Simpsons' graffiti 4 min ago
- Boy, 12, among 8 shot across city
- Mumps reports spike across Illinois
- Boy, 9, recovering from East Chicago pit bull attack
- Lawsuit filed against cops accused of lying in court
- Good Friday 2014 marked in Jerusalem, around world
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, pioneer of magical realism, dead at 87
- Photos: 13-pound baby boy born in Philly suburb
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Ferry Captain Among 1st to Abandon Ship
- 7 in :77
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos