City parks get healthier snack machines
August 30, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The Chicago Park District is taking a big step to provide more healthy snacks for children and other visitors.
City officials introduced new vending machines Tuesday containing snacks with lower sodium and reduced sugar and calories.
Children visiting the parks will have to say goodbye to some candy bars and fried potato chips as the healthier options replace traditional snack machines and become the new norm at Chicago Park District venues.
The healthier snack machines are part of a task force effort to reduce childhood obesity.
So far, a vending machine company has installed 20 healthier snack machines inside of Chicago Park District facilities such as Humboldt Park. Almost 100 machines will be in field houses citywide by the end of the year.
The new machines contain snacks that are fewer than 100 calories. Also, at least one snack per machine will be gluten-free and peanut-free.
Several health organizations joined the Chicago Park District in the effort.
Some people are wondering if the new snacks taste good.
"They will be tasty and I know that they're buying them because we can't keep these machines full," said Colleen Lammel-Harmon, Chicago Park District wellness manager. "We feel it is our duty to only offer healthy snacks. The food we offer should be healthy. That is our duty, to offer a safe environment and be a leader in health and wellness."
Chicago Park District officials say it's important to note the new snack machines are replacing the old ones, not being installed in addition to them.
local, jason knowles
- 2 teens found dead in South Side apartment 11 min ago
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case 8 min ago
- Ashland bridge moved to new location on Western Avenue
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash 25 min ago
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house
- 1 dead, 4 hurt in crash on transition ramp on freeway
- Anti-violence Easter march held in South Chicago 57 min ago
- Teens help clean up Chicago's beaches
- Missing boy's body found off Mass. highway
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake