Betty Loren-Maltese holds garage sale
September 2, 2011 (FOREST VIEW, Ill.) (WLS) -- Looking for a deal? How about something unique and one of a kind? You just might be able to find it at a garage sale this weekend being put on by former Cicero Town President Betty Loren-Maltese.
"This isn't Nordstrom's," Loren-Maltese said. "Just come and bargain."
Loren-Maltese, the former Cicero town president convicted of corruption charges in 2002, is having a garage sale.
There's lots of clothes, clowns given to Loren-Maltese from Cicero residents, silk plants -- because she says she could never keep real ones alive -- plus, dozens of shoes, and plenty of Sox. "I love the Sox," she said. "Even going back to Nellie Fox."
Loren-Maltese said the feds may get 20 percent in restitution, but she needs every dollar right now
"This is out of necessity," said Loren-Maltese. "Where I'm living now is a small apartment." She said she needs some extra money to pay the bills for the next few months.
Loren-Maltese has a part-time job doing computer work. She is also is writing a book about her downfall, and her prison time and conviction, which she continues to appeal.
"One of my Facebook buddies said it best: Forget about the memories, out with the old, in with the new," said Loren-Maltese.
The sale Friday morning didn't start until 10, but customers and fans showed up hours before.
"I am a fan of hers," said customer Jan Kopecky. "She is a strong, proud, tough woman, and she's been through a lot, but she will do well going forward, and I wish her all the best."
"My brother-in-law is in love with her, so I saw a picture in a book and I asked her to sign it, and my dog's in love with clowns, so we're gonna do some shopping," said customer Colleen Bowman.
Some disappointing news if you're interested in those clowns: One man bought most of the Loren-Maltese's clown collection for $100.
The garage sale is not at Loren-Maltese's home; it's a friend's house. The sale started at 10 a.m. Friday and will open at 9 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday at 4500 S. Grove Ave. in Forest View.
- NLRB grants review of NU football players union ruling 33 min ago
- Woman assaulted near Matteson Metra stop, bike path
- NIU hazing death case in court
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago doctor among 3 killed in Afghanistan
- Ex-booster club president pleads guilty to theft 13 min ago
- Driver taking photos after Noble Square crash struck, killed
- Ind. man allegedly took assault weapon on NJ-Chicago flight
- South Side fire latest in suspicious string
- Mom of 3 fatally shot hours after Gary hospital altercation
- Unconscious man found near Metra-Union Pacific tracks in Glencoe
- 'Ice Road Truckers' driver charged with kidnapping prostitute 19 min ago
- 1888 shipwreck pictures in SF Bay released
- abcnews: Officer Caught Tripping Kids at Soccer Game
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos