Betty Loren-Maltese holds garage sale
September 2, 2011 (FOREST VIEW, Ill.) (WLS) -- Looking for a deal? How about something unique and one of a kind? You just might be able to find it at a garage sale this weekend being put on by former Cicero Town President Betty Loren-Maltese.
"This isn't Nordstrom's," Loren-Maltese said. "Just come and bargain."
Loren-Maltese, the former Cicero town president convicted of corruption charges in 2002, is having a garage sale.
There's lots of clothes, clowns given to Loren-Maltese from Cicero residents, silk plants -- because she says she could never keep real ones alive -- plus, dozens of shoes, and plenty of Sox. "I love the Sox," she said. "Even going back to Nellie Fox."
Loren-Maltese said the feds may get 20 percent in restitution, but she needs every dollar right now
"This is out of necessity," said Loren-Maltese. "Where I'm living now is a small apartment." She said she needs some extra money to pay the bills for the next few months.
Loren-Maltese has a part-time job doing computer work. She is also is writing a book about her downfall, and her prison time and conviction, which she continues to appeal.
"One of my Facebook buddies said it best: Forget about the memories, out with the old, in with the new," said Loren-Maltese.
The sale Friday morning didn't start until 10, but customers and fans showed up hours before.
"I am a fan of hers," said customer Jan Kopecky. "She is a strong, proud, tough woman, and she's been through a lot, but she will do well going forward, and I wish her all the best."
"My brother-in-law is in love with her, so I saw a picture in a book and I asked her to sign it, and my dog's in love with clowns, so we're gonna do some shopping," said customer Colleen Bowman.
Some disappointing news if you're interested in those clowns: One man bought most of the Loren-Maltese's clown collection for $100.
The garage sale is not at Loren-Maltese's home; it's a friend's house. The sale started at 10 a.m. Friday and will open at 9 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday at 4500 S. Grove Ave. in Forest View.
- Extra-alarm blaze struck in Irving Park
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- Person killed by Amtrak from Chicago to STL
- Chicago electric bills to rise; city claims could've been worse
- $7 million shoplifting suspects face detention hearing
- Teen accused in Chicago livery driver shooting death
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- Man fatally shot by police in domestic dispute
- Earthquake in California centered in Eureka
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute
- 7 in :77