Brookfield Zoo mourns dead dolphin
September 5, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Nea, a 4-year-old dolphin at the Brookfield Zoo, died unexpectedly Monday afternoon.
Shortly before the 1 p.m. dolphin show, the marine mammal staff heard a loud pop.
They noticed that the Atlantic bottlenose dolphin appeared to be injured. She could not be revived.
It appears Nea died from a skull fracture suffered after by accidentally colliding with another dolphin.
- Spring-like day followed by snow 40 min ago
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student 46 min ago
- Man struck by cars in Lincolnwood dies, police say
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- Metra train strikes pedestrian in New Lenox
- Person killed by Amtrak from Chicago to STL
- Chicago electric bills to rise; city claims could've been worse
- $7 million shoplifting suspects to remain jailed
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute