Friends of murdered girl try to make sense of death
September 20, 2011 (WLS) -- Young men and women barely out of high school paid tribute Tuesday night to a murder victim along railroad tracks where her body was found by police.
Earlier Tuesday, a judge denied bond for Dustin McCowan, 18, a former boyfriend of Amanda Bach's, now charged with killing her. McCowan pleaded not guilty to murder charges during a court appearance Tuesday.
Bach's friend Heather Hutchins said she came to the field "to just pretty much let Amanda know we have a lot of people who love her. She was loved."
An investigators' report reveals McCowan told detectives Bach, 19, had visited him at his Wheeler, Ind., home. He told police she left and did not respond to text messages.
A neighbor told police she heard what she thought was a male voice say, "Amanda get up, come on, get up." The neighbor indicated that she heard this approximately five times and then a female voice that said, "I can't believe this is happening."
Prosecutors have not said what may have motivated the murder, but friends have their own theories.
"They weren't friends after their last breakup and she asked him if they could be friends just for me, so that when I came home we could all hang out at the same time," said friend Brandon Hutchins. "He told her two weeks ago that he never wanted her to text him again because she was coming between me and him."
Friend Tara Adams said she is trying to make sense of what happened.
"There's no motive there's no& we just don't understand," Adams said. "As a person, nobody would have ever expected anything like that out of him."
An autopsy revealed that Bach died of a gunshot wound to the neck. Her body was found Saturday along railroad tracks near McCowan's home.
McCowan's father is a police officer. Court filings report he would not allow detectives to search the property on the day after her disappearance. Those same reports also described the suspect's father as otherwise cooperative.
Services for Bach will be held later this week.
local, ben bradley
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting
- Ice to slicken roads before snow rolls in 3 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Siblings becoming guardians of disabled adults
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Chicago art exhibit celebrates food
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- Bolingbrook firefighters, Meijer donate gift cards to kids
- Dominick's stores prepare for final days of business
- Midlothian auto supply store burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- Ahmad's co-defendant pleads guilty in bribery case
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- abcnews: Feds: Woman caught after 36 years on run
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos