Controlled gas burn under way in Mundelein
October 11, 2011 (MUNDELEIN, Ill.) (WLS) -- Residents and drivers in suburban Mundelein were advised early Tuesday that crews were conducting a controlled burn on top of a tall natural gas line pipe.
A new gas line was being put in near Butterfield Road and Route 60, and in order to do that, crews had to cap off the old one and burn off excess natural gas.
Flames could be seen shooting from the pipe, which is 40 to 50 feet tall, making them visible to motorists. The burn was not near any traffic, however.
Authorities want those in the area to know the burn is under control and there is no cause for alarm.
The effort could be under way for a few hours.
local, roz varon
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- Gay wedding expo celebrates marriage equality
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Brown's Chicken killer wins federal lawsuit
- Farewell held for local deployed soldiers
- Tinley Park hosts St. Patrick's Day parade
- Fundraiser held for teen injured at ski park
- Orr Academy basketball player among 6 shot at party
- Ford Motor leader William Clay Ford dead
- Illinois halts plan to require ATV permits
- Mexican culture celebrated at Navy Pier
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos