Controlled gas burn under way in Mundelein
October 11, 2011 (MUNDELEIN, Ill.) (WLS) -- Residents and drivers in suburban Mundelein were advised early Tuesday that crews were conducting a controlled burn on top of a tall natural gas line pipe.
A new gas line was being put in near Butterfield Road and Route 60, and in order to do that, crews had to cap off the old one and burn off excess natural gas.
Flames could be seen shooting from the pipe, which is 40 to 50 feet tall, making them visible to motorists. The burn was not near any traffic, however.
Authorities want those in the area to know the burn is under control and there is no cause for alarm.
The effort could be under way for a few hours.
local, roz varon
- Off-duty sheriff's officer shot in Bellwood
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- 3 injured after Metra train hits vehicle in Des Plaines
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins prepares for spacewalk outside ISS
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Bolingbrook firefighters, Meijer donate gift cards to kids
- Dominick's stores prepare for final days of business
- Midlothian auto supply store burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- Ahmad's co-defendant pleads guilty in bribery case
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos