Controlled gas burn under way in Mundelein
October 11, 2011 (MUNDELEIN, Ill.) (WLS) -- Residents and drivers in suburban Mundelein were advised early Tuesday that crews were conducting a controlled burn on top of a tall natural gas line pipe.
A new gas line was being put in near Butterfield Road and Route 60, and in order to do that, crews had to cap off the old one and burn off excess natural gas.
Flames could be seen shooting from the pipe, which is 40 to 50 feet tall, making them visible to motorists. The burn was not near any traffic, however.
Authorities want those in the area to know the burn is under control and there is no cause for alarm.
The effort could be under way for a few hours.
local, roz varon
- Snow blankets city, suburbs after March storm 5 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 48 min ago
- Man charged with shooting Chicago officer
- $2M bond for man accused of shooting 6 at party
- SUV with child stolen in Colorado, I-25 chase
- Bears terminate Julius Peppers contract
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- MH370, missing Malaysia Airlines plane, gone 4 days
- San Francisco fire at Mission Bay construction site contained
- Man writes own, hilarious obituary
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
48 min ago
- ABC7 to Go, March 12, 2014
23 min ago
- Snow blankets city, suburbs after March storm
5 min ago