Teen sexually assaulted on way to school
October 18, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Police are searching for two men in connection with the sexual assault of a 15-year-old girl who was on her way to school.
The girl was walking to school last Tuesday when she was attacked near 81st and May.
A prayer vigil was held Tuesday night for the victim. Friends, family members, neighbors and classmates held candles hoping some light will shine on what happened and lead to an arrest.
The high school student was walking to class at Calumet Perspectives Charter School when she says she passed a black van that was parked at 81st and May. She told police one man jumped out of the van, grabbed her, showed her a handgun, forced her inside the van where another man was waiting, then sexually assaulted her. The victim says she was then dropped off at 79th and Aberdeen, only two blocks from the school.
One resident who does not want to be identified says she saw the black van in the neighborhood last Thursday.
"I saw the van and others say they saw the van there at 1:30 in the morning. We got to talking and others say they have seen it too," she said.
Some parents expressed anger that the community wasn't notified about the attack until one week after the attack.
"I was appalled to find out that this happened last week. This flyer that came out yesterday should not have been the first thing we saw," said Dawn Narcisse, Action Now.
"We are not going to take it anymore. It's over. We are the village, we are taking care of our children," said Adrienne Leonard.
The victim was treated at Holy Cross Hospital.
Pain to Poweris an organization that trains volunteers on how to protect and watch children as they walk to school. A special class will be held on Thursday. If you are interested in participating and learning more about the organization call 773-358-6100 or visit paintopower.org.
local, cheryl burton
- 4 girls, 1 boy shot in Park Manor drive-by
- Woman killed in West Side hit-and-run
- Chicago shootings: 9 dead, 35 hurt since Friday night
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man charged in fatal Dan Ryan crash 24 min ago
- 2 officers hurt in Calumet Heights rollover crash
- Motorized wheelchair stolen from Ondelee Perteet
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- Wizards rally past Bulls in Game 1
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge 34 min ago
- Florida sinkhole threatens 2 Orlando-area homes
- Rubin Carter dead at 76; boxer 'Hurricane' exonerated in triple...
- Kevin Sharp dead at 43; country singer battled cancer young
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout
- 7 in :77