Ill. Senator Schmidt says she won't run again
October 31, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Republican State Senator Suzi Schmidt has announced she will not seek re-election in the wake of the fallout from a domestic disturbance.
Last December Schmidt called 911 following an incident with his husband. she implored a dispatcher not to respond to her husband if he called police. Initially Schmidt refused to step down.
Monday she released a written statement saying, "I am grateful for the outpouring of support. However, at this point in my life, my personal life and my family are my priority, and I hope to dedicate more of my time with them in the coming months and years. Therefore, I will not be a candidate for re-election in 2012."
- 'Electric Daisy Carnival' keeping area residents up all night
- Chicago honors military in Memorial Day Parade
- 17-year-old boy killed in Austin shooting
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Friends, family of murder victim pray to end the violence
- Pets from Oklahoma shelter headed to Chicago for adoption
- Memorial Day Road Race benefits military families
- Step back in time at 'Wild West Town' in McHenry County
- Man charged for arson, burglary of $1.5 million boat
- FEMA teams look for flood damage on South Side
- Jackson, Rainbow PUSH Coalition criticize school closings
- Notre Dame QB Golson no longer enrolled at school
- Missouri freight train crash injures at least 7, collapses...
- abcnews: Drivers Can't Face Fears, Get Lift Across...
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos