4 shot -- 2 critically -- in Back of the Yards
December 5, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Four people were shot while sitting in the living room of a home in the 5700-block of S. Seeley Avenue Sunday night. Police say the gunman fired into the house from the porch.
"They were all in the living room watching TV, listening to the radio, whatever, and some guys walked up on the porch and looked in through my window. I guess they looked and saw in my house and just started shooting," Naomi Redding said. "I don't understand why any person would just come and shoot my house up for no apparent reason."
Redding's home was riddled with bullet holes around 10:30 p.m. Sunday. Her son, 17, was shot in the chest and arm several times.
"He's hurt, right now he's hurting, calling for his momma," Redding said.
Redding's son was taken to Stroger Hospital in critical condition.
"One of the bullets almost pierced his heart and his lungs," she said. "He is going to survive but he has to have surgery on his his arm. If he does not get surgery he will lose his arm."
Two other teenagers, both 17, were over when the shooting occurred. One of them was shot in the chest and is in critical condition. The other was hit in the foot and treated and released.
A 26-year-old man who was at the home to pick up the teenagers was also wounded. He is expected to recover, according to hospital officials.
Redding was not home at the time of the shooting. She believes area gang members are responsible for the gunfire, but said her son is not in a gang.
"No, my son is not a member of a gang," Redding said. "I'm afraid. I have to move. I don't want to move, but I have to move."
Police are investigating and have not released any possible motives. No one has been charged in the case.
- Girl sexually assaulted near Safe Passage route
- 30 dogs removed from North Chicago apartment
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 1-month anniversary of Midwest tornadoes outbreak
- ADM to open headquarters in Chicago, sources say
- Police search for suspect in Valparaiso armed robberies
- Plane lands at O'Hare after reporting mechanical problem
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd
- Reno hospital shooting on campus kills 2, including gunman
- 2 former players allege abuse during Maine West hazing trial
- Dart: Concealed carry approval process flawed
- Salvation Army feeds families, seniors in need in Chicago
- abcnews: Dad, Daughter Recreate Wedding Photos