Emington mourns murder-suicide victims
December 17, 2011 (EMINGTON, Ill.) (WLS) -- As the small town of Emington mourns, sources tell ABC7 that it appears a woman killed her three children, her boyfriend and herself Friday afternoon.
The farming town about 80 miles southwest of Chicago is home to about 100 residents. Many of them gathered Friday to mourn Sara McMeen, 30; Daniel Warren, 29; Skyler Lemke,8; Ian Lemke,7; and Maggie Warren, 10 months. All five were shot to death Friday in what police are calling a murder-suicide.
"At a time like this a community needs to come together. They need to be with each other to grieve and just to for that connection, because they are so wounded right now," Pastor Pam Gansch-Boythe said.
"We believe this is an isolate crime, our hearts go out to the families off all those involved, the residents of Livingston County and the people of Emington," Sheriff Martin Meredith, Livingston County, said.
The Livingston county sheriff hasn't identified the shooter, but a neighbor told police she saw McMeen shoot her own baby.
"It's hard to believe. I think the good Lord had a busy day yesterday," Edgar Oelschlager said.
McMeen's mother, Cynthia, said through a statement Saturday, "The family is drawing together during this time, relying on God and grieving."
"It's just something we're gonna have to work with together, we're a pretty close little town. We don't always have dinner together, but we are close. When something goes on we're usually together," Emington Mayor Daniel Delaney said.
The father of Skyler and Ian was too upset to talk to ABC7. Funeral arrangements have not yet been released.
The Lemke family set up an account for donations at the 1st National Bank of Dwight.
local, eric horng
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Search resumes Sunday for Malaysian jet
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment
- Mt. Prospect banquet hall closes suddenly
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Cubs single-game tickets on sale
- 'Project Youth' provides lessons on teen pregnancy, more
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Bill would ban SeaWorld orca shows in California
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Teens Help Save Man Stuck in Sewer
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos