Teen's parents sue suspect in beach death
January 19, 2012 (WLS) -- A wrongful death lawsuit has been filed in a fatal Fourth of July beating at an Indiana beach.Kevin Kennelly Jr., 17, of the Beverly neighborhood in Chicago, died after being beaten at Long Beach, Indiana. His parents have filed a wrongful death suit against James Malecek, the man charged in the case.
The Kennellys claim Anne Malecek was drunk and became verbally abusive and then struck the victim's friend.
The suit says Kennelly's friend did not retaliate, but Anne Malecek contacted her brother James and sought to instigate a confrontation between the two.
Anne Malecek failed to tell her brother that Kennelly was not involved in the argument with his friend, the suit claims.
- Chicago police officer shot on South Side
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man fatally shot by police in domestic dispute
- Sheriff Dart facing opposition from own party
- Brown's Chicken killer wins federal lawsuit
- Mobile payment option for metered parking
- Farewell held for local deployed soldiers
- Gay wedding expo celebrates marriage equality
- Fundraiser held for teen injured at ski park
- Orr Academy basketball player among 6 shot at party
- Mexican culture celebrated at Navy Pier
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds