Dreamliner lands in Rockford; United pilots at controls
January 23, 2012 (ROCKFORD, Ill.) (WLS) -- A small Illinois airport has a big visitor for the next two days.
The Boeing 787 Dreamliner landed in Rockford Monday morning -- and for the first time pilots from United Airlines were at the controls.
United will be the first U.S. carrier to fly the 787. The Chicago-based airline is expected to take delivery of the first of fifty Dreamliners late this year. The new planes boast far greater fuel efficiency, cabin comfort and technology than commercial planes currently flying.
Boeing flew the Dreamliner to Rockford because several local companies produce components of the aircraft.
The plane will be at the Rockford Airport until Wednesday morning. No tours are being offered but there is a spot for the public to take photos.
local, ben bradley
- Extensive vandalism devastates South Side church
- CPS teachers continue citywide marches
- Video: Monday @ 10: Expanded Gambling
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 4 dead, 15 shot in citywide gun violence
- $590M-plus Powerball: winning ticket sold in Fla
- Shots fired, multi-car crash in Hammond Walmart parking lot
- Woman killed, 4 critically injured in Far South Side crash
- Amtrak train from New Orleans to Chicago derails
- Quinn, parents of Newtown victims, speak on gun control
- Toddler found alone on West Side reunited with parents
- Daily Herald: Gender Pay Gap
- Boy, 12, critically hurt in Little Village shooting
- abcnews: 13 Weird Things You Can Buy With Bitcoin
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos