Man gets 40 years for killing mom over Avril Lavigne concert tickets
January 23, 2012 (WHEATON, Ill.) (WLS) -- A judge sentenced a west suburban man to 40 years in prison for killing his mother after she refused to buy him concert tickets.
Robert Lyons, 39, formerly of Carol Stream, stabbed Linda Bolek, 61, to death in March of 2008.
Prosecutors say he got into an argument with his mother after she refused to call a friend to obtain skybox tickets for him to an upcoming Avril Lavigne concert. Lyons then hit Bolek with a cognac bottle, stabbed her repeatedly and poured chemicals like Tile-X, Drain-O and Rapid insecticide over her body.
He was found several hours later at a Hooters restaurant.
"Today, Mr. Lyons learned that he will spend the next 40 years of his life behind bars for the vicious murder of his mother," State's Atty. Robert Berlin said in a statement. "Linda Bolek did not deserve to die that day by the hands of her own son. She did not deserve to be beaten, stabbed and have chemicals poured over her as she lay helpless on the floor. "Mr. Lyons however, deserves this punishment. He has earned it and he deserves to spend what likely amounts to the rest of his life removed from society," Berlin said.
- Boy pulled from pond after 90 minutes underwater 11 min ago
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas 52 min ago
- Blackhawks lose heartbreaking 3OT STL Game 1
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Mumps reports spike across Illinois 6 min ago
- Boy, 9, recovering from East Chicago pit bull attack 2 min ago
- Lawsuit filed against cops accused of lying in court 1 min ago
- I-Team: Misconduct alleged at US Marshal's office
- I-Team: Warning about home loans
- Huntley votes to ban e-cigarettes in schools
- Man shot in Lincoln Square
- Good Friday 2014 marked in Jerusalem, around world
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, pioneer of magical realism, dead at 87
- abcnews: Ferry Captain Among 1st to Abandon Ship
- 7 in :77
45 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos