Man gets 40 years for killing mom over Avril Lavigne concert tickets
January 23, 2012 (WHEATON, Ill.) (WLS) -- A judge sentenced a west suburban man to 40 years in prison for killing his mother after she refused to buy him concert tickets.
Robert Lyons, 39, formerly of Carol Stream, stabbed Linda Bolek, 61, to death in March of 2008.
Prosecutors say he got into an argument with his mother after she refused to call a friend to obtain skybox tickets for him to an upcoming Avril Lavigne concert. Lyons then hit Bolek with a cognac bottle, stabbed her repeatedly and poured chemicals like Tile-X, Drain-O and Rapid insecticide over her body.
He was found several hours later at a Hooters restaurant.
"Today, Mr. Lyons learned that he will spend the next 40 years of his life behind bars for the vicious murder of his mother," State's Atty. Robert Berlin said in a statement. "Linda Bolek did not deserve to die that day by the hands of her own son. She did not deserve to be beaten, stabbed and have chemicals poured over her as she lay helpless on the floor. "Mr. Lyons however, deserves this punishment. He has earned it and he deserves to spend what likely amounts to the rest of his life removed from society," Berlin said.
- Dominick's offers more discounts as stores close 19 min ago
- Target credit card breach causes anger, frustration 51 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Rogers Park stabbing leaves woman, 21, blind; man charged 30 min ago
- NW Side residents hold meeting on sex assault
- Deck the malls with security
- Glen Ellyn student accused of assaulting school staff member
- Rev. Al Sharpton holds meeting on Chicago gun violence
- Carol Stream Culver's raises money for child with leukemia
- Man thought to be Gacy victim reunited with family
- Woman charged after 30 dogs removed from home
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold until January
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos