Costa crew file lawsuit in Chicago
January 27, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A crew member from the Italian cruise liner Costa Concordia has filed a federal lawsuit in Chicago against Carnival Cruise Lines and its Costa subsidiary.
The lawsuit seeks to represent all 42-hundred passengers and crew aboard the vessel when it struck rocks and capsized January 13.
Carnival and Costa are both based in Florida.
The lawsuit says Chicago is a proper venue because carnival does substantial business in Illinois.
Lawsuits filed in the US face an uphill battle.
The Cruise ticket contract contained a clause that said any lawsuits must be filed in Italy.
- 2 hurt in North Side crash 41 min ago
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Near-death experience inspires businessman
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- 6 shot at party in Austin 42 min ago
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- PM won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land
- Interpol: Database not checked pre-Malaysia flight 1 min ago
- No consensus on notifying victims of data breaches
- Cubs single-game tickets on sale
- abcnews: Teens Help Save Man Stuck in Sewer
- 2 hurt in North Side crash
41 min ago
- Newsviews - Tom Cross
17 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos