Ministers call for morgue investigation
January 28, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Another group of ministers joins the call for an investigation into the crisis at the Cook County Morgue.
A day after Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle admitted that it might take several weeks to get a handle on the overflow situation at the morgue, a group of pastors are calling for a citizens advisory panel.
They say the panel could be empowered to go inside the medical examiner's office at least a couple of times a year to ensure that remains are being treated properly. They could also advocate on behalf of poor families who do not have the funds to get their loved ones' remains taken care of.
"This is not just a political issue," Bishop Marshall Hatch Sr. said. "It has to do with human dignity and so she really should allow community leaders and faith leaders to be part of the solution. Once we no longer take care of the least of us, then we are all in danger of having to go through a morgue that is overwhelmed, disorganized and can be neglected."
A spokesperson for Preckwinkle said Sunday that she does not have a statement at this time, as she has not yet had the opportunity to personally review the request.
Preckwinkle has already ordered an overhaul at the morgue after large number of bodies were found stacked up there.
- Police: Suspicious item on LSD was sleeping bag 59 min ago
- Bond denied for suspect in Boystown sex assault
- Hero officers save two boys from West Pullman fire 4 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- School bus collides with car, then sign in Bartlett 49 min ago
- Man who killed Kankakee doctor gets life in prison
- Cubs unveil plans for Wrigley's 100th birthday
- Carl Sandburg H.S. 'soft lockdown' lifted after arrests 39 min ago
- Bucktown water main break gushes for hours 18 min ago
- Chicago casino plans pitched at gaming hearing 49 min ago
- UIC faculty strike averted, tentative deal reached
- Truman College instructor accused of sexually assaulting former... 12 min ago
- Neighbors rescue kids from West Pullman fire
- Michelle Obama to meet with CPS students in DC
- I-Team: Warning about home loans
14 min ago
- Chicago street repaving begins
40 min ago
- Microbead ban? Group says they impact...
36 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos