Doctor: Kirk 'upgraded to fair condition'
January 30, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- U.S. Senator Mark Kirk was upgraded to fair condition on Monday by his doctors at Northwestern Memorial Hospital.
The Republican has been hospitalized for more than a week after suffering a stroke and undergoing surgery to remove part of his skull to relieve pressure on his brain.
Dr. Richard Fessler, MD, PhD, released a written statement, "Senator Kirk's recovery is continuing. He is alert, talking and responding well to questions. He has been upgraded to fair condition and we are very pleased with his progress."
Kirk's road to recovery will be long, according to Dr. Fessler. Doctors said he does not appear to have lost any of his cognitive skills but may not recover all of his physical capabilities on his left side.
- CPS adds 3 schools to turnaround list 4 min ago
- Gacy investigation helps ID bones of man missing since 1978
- Van driver dies in fiery CTA bus crash, ID'd as Eric West, Jr.
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 2 officers struck by car in West Side alley
- BNSF Metra trains moving again after semi crash at Kedzie 13 min ago
- Loyola: Student Lucas Fleisher found OK 55 min ago
- Carla Oglesby, ex-Todd Stroger aide, gets 6.5 years
- Chase preceded Roseland bus stop crash that injured 5
- Iceberg twice size of Atlanta drifts away from Antarctica
- Man arrested after Kilbourn Park standoff with kids, dog
- Maywood man charged in fatal West Side hit-and-run
- Park Ridge pole crash causes power outage
- Tractor stolen from Beecher exotic-animal shelter
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos