Doctor: Kirk 'upgraded to fair condition'
January 30, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- U.S. Senator Mark Kirk was upgraded to fair condition on Monday by his doctors at Northwestern Memorial Hospital.
The Republican has been hospitalized for more than a week after suffering a stroke and undergoing surgery to remove part of his skull to relieve pressure on his brain.
Dr. Richard Fessler, MD, PhD, released a written statement, "Senator Kirk's recovery is continuing. He is alert, talking and responding well to questions. He has been upgraded to fair condition and we are very pleased with his progress."
Kirk's road to recovery will be long, according to Dr. Fessler. Doctors said he does not appear to have lost any of his cognitive skills but may not recover all of his physical capabilities on his left side.
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Chicago shootings: 7 dead, 22 hurt since Friday night
- Bad Wolf Coffee offers French caneles
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago man killed in Salt Lake City stabbing
- Man ID'd after fatal crash on Ryan-Skyway ramp
- Woman wanted for Wicker Park bank robbery
- BMO Harris Bank branch in Austin robbed
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76 14 min ago
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- YMCA in Naperville gears up for 'Healthy Kids Day'
- Person drowns in kayak accident on Fox River
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home
- Newsviews: I-DOT Road Construction
26 min ago