Doctor: Kirk 'upgraded to fair condition'
January 30, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- U.S. Senator Mark Kirk was upgraded to fair condition on Monday by his doctors at Northwestern Memorial Hospital.
The Republican has been hospitalized for more than a week after suffering a stroke and undergoing surgery to remove part of his skull to relieve pressure on his brain.
Dr. Richard Fessler, MD, PhD, released a written statement, "Senator Kirk's recovery is continuing. He is alert, talking and responding well to questions. He has been upgraded to fair condition and we are very pleased with his progress."
Kirk's road to recovery will be long, according to Dr. Fessler. Doctors said he does not appear to have lost any of his cognitive skills but may not recover all of his physical capabilities on his left side.
- South Loop shooting injures 2 23 min ago
- Boy runs away from attempted kidnapper at Bell
- Memorial Day travel: Illinois roadways, airports busy 19 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Ill. House approves gun plan opposed by Quinn
- Evanston HS baseball season ends over sexting
- Ex-CPD officer sentenced in Latin Kings case
- Dick Evey, former Bears' first-round pick, dies at 72 43 min ago
- Bears to retire Mike Ditka number
- Aldi parking lot shooting victim may have been set up
- Memorial Day marks start of summer travel season
- Report: Judge to hear CPS school closings case
- Photos: Skagit River Bridge Collapse on I-5
- abcnews: McDonald's CEO Scolded By 9-Year-Old