Chicagoans enjoy spring temps 1 year after blizzard
January 31, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Tuesday was one of the warmest days of the year in the Chicago area with temperatures soaring well into the 50s.
The warm weather arrived on the eve of the one year anniversary of the third worst blizzard in Chicago history and could stick around for a few more days.
"Tomorrow we're talking about mid, maybe upper 40s," said ABC7's meteorologist Mike Caplan.
People all over the area were enjoying the spring temperatures.
"I wish it could be like this all year round. I mean, I'd take this over rain any day or snow," said Marc Cieslak.
"It's incredible. It's a beautiful day... hard to believe a year ago," said Doug Hewitt, recalling last February's snowstorm.
While no records were broken Tuesday, this winter is the 11th warmest in Chicago's history.
For many Chicagoans, it was hard to imagine that one year ago -- on February 1, 2011 -- the city was battling one of the biggest snowstorms in history.
Little Anna Conforti was born at the height of the storm. "We tried to pull our car out of our driveway and could not get out, so he's shoveling and shoveling, and about 45 minutes later I had to call my sister who lives down the street," said mom Mandie Conforti.
Conforti's sister was able to pick Mandie up and get her to the hospital. But the doctor wasn't able to get out of her driveway.
"There was someone missing, so the doctor called in and said she was unable to get even down her street. Then at that point, Mandie volunteered me and it worked out well, I was able to go ahead and pick up the doctor and get her back to the hospital," said sister Maris Weinewuth.
On her first birthday, Anna promises to be a lot nicer.
local, phil schwarz
- Girl sexually assaulted near Safe Passage route
- 30 dogs removed from North Chicago apartment
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 1-month anniversary of Midwest tornadoes outbreak
- ADM to open headquarters in Chicago, sources say
- Police search for suspect in Valparaiso armed robberies
- Plane lands at O'Hare after reporting mechanical problem
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd
- Reno hospital shooting on campus kills 2, including gunman
- 2 former players allege abuse during Maine West hazing trial
- Dart: Concealed carry approval process flawed
- Salvation Army feeds families, seniors in need in Chicago
- abcnews: Dad, Daughter Recreate Wedding Photos