Lincoln Park Zoo mourns elderly lion
February 1, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Adelor, a popular African lion who often perched on a boulder to watch over his pride at Lincoln Park Zoo, was euthanized Wednesday due to deteriorating health.
Adelor, a popular African lion who often perched on a boulder to watch over his pride at Lincoln Park Zoo, was euthanized Wednesday due to deteriorating health.
At 18, Adelor was considered elderly, according to the zoo. He arrived at Lincoln Park Zoo in 1995 and fathered five cubs over the years.
He was noticeably absent from the Kovler Lion House on Wednesday afternoon as lioness Myra, the only remaining African lion in the exhibit, hid from the crowd.
"[Adelor] would often be seen lying on the top of the large boulders of the exhibit where he could survey his territory and monitor his pride," said Mark Kamhout, zoological manager. "Guests of all ages would flock to the lion exhibit when Adelor began roaring as he announced his territory several times a day. He was a wonderful leader of the pride and was very protective and affectionate of the females under his care."
Suhaib Omari, a native of Jordan, was waiting for Adelor when he heard the news.
"I'm not from here. I live in Jordan, so when I come to America, I come here just to see Adelor," Omari said.
The zoo said it is looking for another mate for Myra, 15.
The median life expectancy for lions is approximately 14 years. The longest African lion lifespan recorded is 26 years.
A memorial page has been set up in Adelor's honor. Adelor fans and friends of the zoo are welcome to leave comments, share memories or express condolences to animal care staff who are especially affected by his loss. Visit the memorial page here.
- 2 winter storms take aim at Chicago area 46 min ago
- Missing Michigan doctor's car found in Indiana
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 48 min ago
- Bogus Target charges may not appear for months
- Woman charged after 30 dogs removed from home
- Dixon to receive $9.2M restitution in Crundwell case 42 min ago
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold until January
- 2 men killed within blocks of each other in South Shore
- No CO detectors in Skokie apartments where people sickened
- Indiana Toll Road reopened after truck rollover
- Elkhart native killed in NATO helicopter crash in Afghanistan
- Aurora pastor gets 12 years in prison
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates 11 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
48 min ago
- 2 winter storms take aim at Chicago area
46 min ago
- Man thought to be Gacy victim reunited with...
50 min ago