Daley talks about late wife Maggie
February 23, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- For the first time since her death, former Chicago mayor Richard Daley spoke publicly about the loss of his wife Maggie.
Daley spoke Wednesday night to reporters about his late wife and life after leaving office.
The former mayor currently works at a law firm downtown. He was there Wednesday night for announcement about how they are opening up a new office in Shanghai, China.
At the law firm of Katten, Muchin, and Rosenmann, Daley talked about knowing he wouldn't run for another term almost a year before his last term ended in May. Daley says he doesn't second-guess current Mayor Rahm Emanuel and said Emanuel is doing a great job.
Daley's wife, Maggie, died in November. He spoke about her at the conference and about how his life has changed. He said with his wife, everything was organized, including vacations. He added his loss "happens to a lot of people in life."
"It is a whole lot different lifestyle with the death of my wife, and you know, people don't realize after 41 years when I first met Maggie at a party and knew I was going to marry her. And then we got married a year later and were married 40 years and everything was wonderful," Daley said. "I had a wonderful marriage and wonderful life, and you have good memories. And they are important because you meet people, and Maggie would tell you that, she would meet people whose kids died and that precious time, and some people were two like Kevin and some were 50, and so it is how you lead your life. She had a wonderful way of handling this disease."
The former mayor joked around with reporters about his new life out of office. He reminded everybody that he hasn't driven in 30 years and that you don't want him on the road.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
local, linda yu
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase 18 min ago
- Brief warm-up followed by snow 19 min ago
- Missing plane may have created seismic event, Chinese researchers say
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- SUV rolls off Jane Addams exit ramp in Rosemont
- Rat problem could increase with spring thaw
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West Loop
- GOP gubernatorial candidates hold last forum before primary
- MS Awareness Month events in Chicago area
- Catalytic converters stolen from cars in Chicago Lawn
- I-55 rest stop dedicated to fallen state trooper
- Priest: Billboard with assault weapon 'disrespectful'
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Philly Airport
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
- 7 in 77
16 min ago
- CPD officer killed in crash after police...
18 min ago