Officials: Discarded cigarette to blame in Del. fire
ELSMERE, Del. - February 25, 2012 -- A discarded cigarette is being blamed for an apartment fire in Delaware that injured five people, including three emergency responders.
The injured include two Elsmere Police officers who pulled a 38-year-old woman and a young girl from the burning townhome.
The fire broke out shortly after 9:30pm at the Silverbrook Apartments on Elsmere Boulevard.
The rescued adult and child were rushed to Christiana Hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation and burns.
The police officers were also treated for smoke inhalationa and a firefighter suffered an arm injury.
Damage is estimated at about $50,000. The fire is considered accidental.
The Associated Press contributed to this article.
delaware, fire, local/state
- Austin fire destroys building, leaves 10 homeless 22 min ago
- Chicago pastor investigated for child sex abuse
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 54 min ago
- Snow, cold fail to deter holiday shoppers 47 min ago
- 1 dead, several injured in Racine pile-up
- Patients celebrate holidays at Ronald McDonald House
- 2-year-old girl killed by dog on South Side
- Driver charged after bicyclist killed in Douglas Park accident
- FEMA canvassing tornado areas in Central Ill.
- Blackhawks G Crawford leaves game early with injury
- Chicago marks passing of Nelson Mandela
- Bears, Cowboys prepped for frigid Monday game
- abcnews: Man trapped in empty plane at Houston Airport
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
54 min ago
- Snow, cold fail to deter holiday shoppers
47 min ago