Girl, 4, dies in Dolton crash
February 25, 2012 (DOLTON, Ill.) (WLS) -- A 4-year-old girl died and three members of her family were injured in a two-vehicle accident Saturday. Several people reportedly lifted a car off the girl, who was airlifted to Comer Children's Medical Center.
It happened Saturday morning on Sibley Boulevard near the Bishop Ford Freeway in south suburban Dolton.
Investigators were on the scene for more than six hours after the accident as traffic was rerouted.
Dolton police say a black Ford SUV with a family of four inside had just pulled out from a side street and apparently failed to yield when it was struck by this silver Hyundai with just the driver inside.
The girl was thrown from the vehicle in her car seat. Witnesses said at least four or five people had to lift the vehicle off her.
"At first the the child was not breathing, and after I told the father to lay her down on the ground, she had a pulse," said witness Richard Warren. "It seems like she got her breathing back together."
"I have never seen nothing like it," said another witness, Chuck Vallo. "Definitely shocked me. Especially to see little kids involved in it."
ABC7 has learned the driver of the black SUV was 37-year-old Parris Williams, who works as a children's minister at Lilydale First Baptist Church on Chicago's far South Side.
The girl was initially taken to a hospital in Indiana before being airlifted to Comer. The four other people who are injured were also hospitalized. Police say those people are expected to survive.
Neighbors say the intersection where the accident occurred can be for drivers.
The stop sign is set back from the intersection and residents say trees can block the view of cars speeding over this hill.
local, eric horng
- Oklahoma tornado kills 51, death toll expected to rise, M.E. says
- Detroit Red Wings beat Chicago Blackhawks 3-1
- I-Team: Expanded gambling in Illinois
- 1st weekday of Red Line Reconstruction
- Photos: Tornadoes hit Oklahoma, Kansas
- Shooting outside Planned Parenthood in Merrillville, Indiana
- 'Pollen tsunami' in Chicago, allergist says
- Governor, Mayor in high-stakes game of Chicago hold 'em
- 87-year-old accusing Trump says, 'Somebody had to stand up to...
- Photos: Milwaukee Pug Fest 2013
- abcnews: 200-Lbs. Bear Pulled From Colorado Springs...
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos