Report: Hudson family, Balfour had tense relationship
February 28, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Jennifer Hudson didn't want her sister to marry William Balfour, the man charged in the 2008 murders of the singer's mother, brother and nephew, according to published reports.
Prosecutors say Hudson is on the witness list for the upcoming trial involving the South Side murders, but they have not yet said whether the Academy Award-winning actress will be called to testify in the case.
Hudson's mother, Darnell Donerson, and brother Jason Hudson were both found shot to death in the family's Englewood home in October 2008.
The body of the singer's 7-year-old nephew, Julian King, was found three days later in a stolen vehicle abandoned on Chicago's West Side.
Prosecutors allege the killer is William Balfour, who was married to Hudson's sister, Julia -- although he was estranged from her at time of the killings.
Jennifer Hudson has rarely spoken in public about the triple slaying.
According to the Chicago Tribune, the singer told investigators she has known Balfour since childhood because their families lived only a few blocks apart and the two attended the same elementary school. She also said that she advised her sister against marrying him, according to the report.
Jennifer Hudson reportedly told police there was tension between the two families over Balfour's relationship with Jennifer's sister and that Balfour allegedly went to Julia Hudson's workplace and threatened to kill her because he thought she was having an affair.
Balfour's trial is scheduled for April 19. Many will be waiting and watching to see if Jennifer Hudson will take the stand.
local, jason knowles
- Boy pulled from Crystal Lake pond after 90 minutes dies 46 min ago
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas 37 min ago
- Blackhawks lose heartbreaking 3OT STL Game 1
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man accused of Naperville 'Simpsons' graffiti 14 min ago
- Boy, 12, among 8 shot across city
- Mumps reports spike across Illinois
- Boy, 9, recovering from East Chicago pit bull attack
- Lawsuit filed against cops accused of lying in court
- Good Friday 2014 marked in Jerusalem, around world
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, pioneer of magical realism, dead at 87
- Photos: 13-pound baby boy born in Philly suburb
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Ferry Captain Among 1st to Abandon Ship
- 7 in :77
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos