Report: Hudson family, Balfour had tense relationship
February 28, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Jennifer Hudson didn't want her sister to marry William Balfour, the man charged in the 2008 murders of the singer's mother, brother and nephew, according to published reports.
Prosecutors say Hudson is on the witness list for the upcoming trial involving the South Side murders, but they have not yet said whether the Academy Award-winning actress will be called to testify in the case.
Hudson's mother, Darnell Donerson, and brother Jason Hudson were both found shot to death in the family's Englewood home in October 2008.
The body of the singer's 7-year-old nephew, Julian King, was found three days later in a stolen vehicle abandoned on Chicago's West Side.
Prosecutors allege the killer is William Balfour, who was married to Hudson's sister, Julia -- although he was estranged from her at time of the killings.
Jennifer Hudson has rarely spoken in public about the triple slaying.
According to the Chicago Tribune, the singer told investigators she has known Balfour since childhood because their families lived only a few blocks apart and the two attended the same elementary school. She also said that she advised her sister against marrying him, according to the report.
Jennifer Hudson reportedly told police there was tension between the two families over Balfour's relationship with Jennifer's sister and that Balfour allegedly went to Julia Hudson's workplace and threatened to kill her because he thought she was having an affair.
Balfour's trial is scheduled for April 19. Many will be waiting and watching to see if Jennifer Hudson will take the stand.
local, jason knowles
- Oklahoma tornadoes strike- again 4 min ago
- 'Pollen tsunami' in Chicago, allergist says
- Video: Monday @ 10: Expanded Gambling
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Church van crash kills 5 in Vandalia, Illinois
- United Dreamliner 787 lands at O'Hare
- Photos: Reported fatal church van crash in...
- School closings march protests CPS consolidations
- Mixed reviews for 1st weekday of Red Line Reconstruction 45 min ago
- GrubHub merges with NY-based Seamless North America
- Tinley Park man charged with carjacking ex-wife
- Burned body found inside Avondale dumpster
- Man accused of sexually assaulting, abusing teen girls
- 'Jammin' at the Zoo' concerts announced
- Mixed reviews for 1st weekday of Red Line...
45 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos