Pelosi endorses Jackson in re-election bid
March 3, 2012 (CHICAGO) -- Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr. picked up a big endorsement for re-election Saturday from House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi.
The endorsement comes as Jackson Jr. engaged in a contentious re-election campaign against primary challenger Debbie Halvorson.
"Thank you for your strong leadership in the Congress of the United States," Pelosi said. "That's why I am here today to endorse Jesse Jackson Jr. for re-election to the Congress."
She said he presided over the debate for President Barack Obama's health care overhaul "very, very excellently." She also praised his work in the appropriations committee.
Pelosi made the announcement at the headquarters of the Rainbow PUSH Coalition, the civil rights organization run by Jackson's father, the Rev. Jesse Jackson.
"Leader Pelosi didn't have to endorse me but she did and I'm grateful," Jackson Jr. said.
Halvorson also scheduled a news conference to respond to Pelosi's visit.
"The last time I checked, Nancy Pelosi doesn't vote in the 2nd Congressional District," Halvorson said.
Jackson has represented the 2nd District since winning a special election in 1995.
Jackson has already received endorsements from President Barack Obama and chicago Mayor Rahm Emanual. Pelosi is the highest-ranking Democrat to appear with Jackson during his re-election bid.
Jackson is under investigation by the house ethics committee over allegations that his supporters offered $1.5 million to convicted former Gov. Rod Blagojevich to get Jackson appointed to Obama's former Senate seat. Halverson, of Crete, said the probe is a distraction that prevents Jackson from effectively representing the district.
(The Associated Press contributed to this report)
local, evelyn holmes
- Board votes to close 50 CPS schools, programs
- Fmr. student allegedly threatened Glenbard East H.S.
- Brian Urlacher announces retirement from NFL
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 15 min ago
- Four schools spared during final CPS vote
- 2 bodies found in car in West Englewood
- Palmer House Hilton up for sale
- Chicago vehicle stickers now on sale
- West Aurora sex abuse probe ends without arrests
- Donald Trump civil trial jury deliberations begin
- 4 school buses crash in Indiana, 50 injured
- Memorial Day: Travel down, gas prices up
- CPS closings numbers compared to other major cities
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
15 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos