Missing man said he was going to lakefront
March 4, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Divers searched Lake Michigan Sunday night at Belmont Harbor for a missing man.
Phillip Patnaude, 28, was last seen in the early hours of Sunday after a night out on the North Side.
The missing man's jacket was found Sunday near the lake.
After a Friday night out with friends, Patnaude decided to catch at cab near Wellington and Broadway. Instead of going home to his North Side apartment, he went to check out the lake.
"He is a nature enthusiast, loves being outdoors and really appreciates the esthetics of the beauty, while he doesn't go to the lake all the time, it's not outrageous," said his sister, Colette.
Patnaude's sister said when her brother did not return, a large search party of family and friends was organized by Saturday afternoon. The search continued at Belmot Harbor.
"One of our search parties found a jacket," she said."We had scuba divers come and we are told it is a very a hopeful sign."
After Patnaude's jacket was found, divers spent all afternoon looking in the cold water. Police said the conditions are not good.
The visibility is about five feet and the water temperature is in the mid 30's.
Divers will resume their search Monday with help from the Coast Guard.
Patnaude is 6-foot-1 and 175-pounds with blond hair and blue eyes. He was last seen wearing a black ski jacket, a dark purple button down shirt, blue jeans and black shoes.
Patnaude is a 2006 graduate of the University of Illinois at Champaign. He is engaged with an October wedding planned.
local, sarah schulte
- Snow falls as shoppers brave cold temps
- Driver charged after bicyclist killed in Douglas Park accident 16 min ago
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters 2 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- ON DEMAND: ABC 7 Chicago's 'Heart and Soul'
- Man dies after Evanston shooting, car crash
- Illinois Tollway readies full fleet of snowplows 19 min ago
- Young singer with autism releases inspirational song
- Nelson Mandela remembrances held in Chicago, around world
- Oklahoma earthquake rattles state at magnitude 4.5
- Stranded hiker rescued from Tenn. waterfall ledge
- Kennedy Center Honors for Joel, MacLaine, Santana, Hancock,...
- 1985 Chicago Bears Book
- abcnews: Man trapped in empty plane at Houston Airport