U of I trustees tell Hogan to repair faculty relationships
March 5, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- University of Illinois President Michel Hogan has been ordered by school trustees to repair his relationship with the faculty.
Trustees held an emergency closed-door meeting in Chicago Monday after 130 Urbana-Champaign campus professors wrote a letter calling for Hogan's resignation.
In the letter, the U of I faculty had a long list of complaints about Hogan, including accusing him of spying and bullying the faculty senate conference. Professors also said Hogan has demonstrated a preoccupation with the material trappings of high office. The three-page letter also reads in part, "In our view, he lacks the values, commitments, management style, ethics and even manners needed to lead this university."
"When we have so many of our incredibly important professors writing letters to us that express their concern, that in and of itself represents concern on the part of the trustees," U of I board Chairman Christopher Kennedy said
Kennedy said the board continues to support Hogan and believe he can rebuild his relationship with faculty. Hogan was hired by the board two years ago following an admissions scandal.
"The issues around rebuilding that support are issues that Mike Hogan needs to play a leadership role in," Kennedy said. "That is not something that the board can do for him, but we're confident that Mike can do it for himself. Time will tell, and we will review it closely over the next few months."
The board meets again in 10 days and will review the president. Hogan snuck out a side door and did not talk to the media.
local, sarah schulte
- Teen dead after car chase and shooting
- Ashland bridge moved to new location on Western Avenue
- South Korea ferry captain, 2 crew members arrested
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Police: 2 males found dead in South Side residence
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park 9 min ago
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off 58 min ago
- 1 dead, 4 hurt in crash on transition ramp on freeway
- Woman dies after being rescued from Lake Michigan
- Teens help clean up Chicago's beaches 15 min ago
- I-Team: Kevin Trudeau, an unlikely pauper
- Missing boy's body found off Mass. highway 30 min ago
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake