Lake Co. corrections officer killed in hit-and-run
March 6, 2012 (LAKE COUNTY, Ind.) (WLS) -- A Lake County corrections officer was killed and three others injured in a hit-and-run Tuesday evening, according to the Lake County Sheriff 's Department.
The corrections officers were out jogging after work next to the county complex on 93 Avenue in Crown Point around 7 p.m. when they were hit by a vehicle. The driver did not stop.
The corrections officer who was killed was a veteran officer. Her family was being notified late Tuesday night.
One officer was being airlifted to Indianapolis for treatment. Two other officers are in the hospital.
The vehicle was described by one of the victims as a late model dark SUV.
One of the injured male officers is the son of the Lake County deputy chief.
Lake County Sheriff John Buncich is asking anyone who may have information or may have seen anything to help them find the driver.
"We have our medical team and our chaplaincy team is here. So we are dealing with it the best we can," said Buncich.
local, leah hope
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders 18 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway 55 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 27 min ago
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Gov. Quinn looks back on 2013 15 min ago
- New Illinois driving laws in 2014 on speed, electronics
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods 32 min ago
- 'I-55 Bandit' pleads guilty to robbery charge 38 min ago
- Report: Centrella may buy Dominick's stores
- Briggs' status still up in air for Bears
- Kanye West opens pop-up store in Chicago
- Weekender Report by Roz Varon 28 min ago
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
27 min ago
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop...
18 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
55 min ago
- Gov. Quinn looks back on 2013
15 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos