Lake Co. corrections officer killed in hit-and-run
March 6, 2012 (LAKE COUNTY, Ind.) (WLS) -- A Lake County corrections officer was killed and three others injured in a hit-and-run Tuesday evening, according to the Lake County Sheriff 's Department.
The corrections officers were out jogging after work next to the county complex on 93 Avenue in Crown Point around 7 p.m. when they were hit by a vehicle. The driver did not stop.
The corrections officer who was killed was a veteran officer. Her family was being notified late Tuesday night.
One officer was being airlifted to Indianapolis for treatment. Two other officers are in the hospital.
The vehicle was described by one of the victims as a late model dark SUV.
One of the injured male officers is the son of the Lake County deputy chief.
Lake County Sheriff John Buncich is asking anyone who may have information or may have seen anything to help them find the driver.
"We have our medical team and our chaplaincy team is here. So we are dealing with it the best we can," said Buncich.
local, leah hope
- Distance not the issue with CPS safe passage 1 min ago
- South Loop shooting injures 2 29 min ago
- Memorial Day travel: Illinois roadways, airports busy 25 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Boy runs away from attempted kidnapper at Bell
- Ill. House approves gun plan opposed by Quinn
- Evanston HS baseball season ends over sexting
- Ex-CPD officer sentenced in Latin Kings case
- Dick Evey, former Bears' first-round pick, dies at 72 49 min ago
- Bears to retire Mike Ditka number
- Aldi parking lot shooting victim may have been set up
- Memorial Day marks start of summer travel season
- Photos: Skagit River Bridge Collapse on I-5
- abcnews: McDonald's CEO Scolded By 9-Year-Old